Sunday, February 7, 2010

Caramel Apple Toffee Sticky Buns

I was flipping though my recipe binder the other day, and just felt the need to make something. Well these were that something.  They were delicious, but they made a huge mess in my oven. I followed the recipe exactly but the caramel boiled over and then well we all knows what happens then.  Next time I will put them in another pan (like with pies) and then I won't have the same issue. Other than that these are a great treat and for being a yeast bread recipe they are actually really quick.

I would recommend to get everything out that you need, really it just makes the thing go smoother. You aren't looking for anything and ingredients will be ready and at hand. I started doing this since my boys like to help so much. I can prep the whole recipe then they can help me assemble it. It makes the process of them helping so much more enjoyable.


In a sauce pan put in your milk, butter, oil and sugar, heat until sugar melts if it is over 110 degrees let it cool, you don't want to kill your yeast


Prep your ingredients for your caramel sauce while you are waiting for the milk mixture to cool down. Brown sugar, butter, and cream

Here I should have a picture of the dough but I forgot to take that one. So when your milk has cooled down add in 4 cups of flour and your yeast. Cover with kitchen towel and let sit for an hour.

When your hour is up add another 1/2 cup flour and the remaining dry ingredients.


Once you have added the last of the dry ingredients you can start your caramel sauce, it should look like this when it's done.

While you are making the caramel sauce melt your butter that you will need for your dough. Also put together your cinnamon/sugar mixture if you haven't already. I usually do these things while the dough is rising.


Cut up and peel your apple, then spray two 9" cake pans with cooking spray and pour in 1/2 the caramel into each.


Put your apples on top of the caramel sauce and then I added some toffee bits they weren't in the original recipe but I am brazen like that.


I did one with just toffee too, just because I could, that and not everyone loves apples so I thought I would mix it up a little.


Spread 1/2 of your dough out on a floured surface. I have a Rolpat that my Mom bought me for Christmas a few years ago. It is one of my most favorite things. You could do the whole thing all at once but I have limited space so I have to do it in stages. If you have the room then go for it.


Spread 1/2 of your melted butter on dough


Spread on 1/2 of cinnamon sugar mixture.


Roll up the long side of the dough


Cut into even pieces. I don't put in the very ends, I eat those instead. That is how you know it is going to be good, by how good the raw dough is.


Place in the pans and let rise for about 30 minutes. Then bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes. Next time I would place the pans in a larger pan to collect what boils over.


When they are done let them sit for just a minute then invert them onto a glass plate. Let cool for a few minutes before serving. These are going out to the goose blind with my Dad. They are to good to be left in my house.


These ones are leaving too.

I am not sure where the recipe came from whether it was from family or the internet so if it was from one of you please let me know so I can give you the credit. Thanks.

Caramel Apple Toffee Sticky Buns

Rolls:
2 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 package of yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
4 cups flour
1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoon kosher salt
scant 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
heaping 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup melted butter
3/4 cup sugar
4 tablespoons cinnamon

Caramel topping:
1 stick unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon corn syrup
2 tablespoons cream

1 granny smith apple peeled and diced
3/4 cup toffee bits

To make the dough: heat milk, oil and sugar till warm but do not boil, if it is over 110 degrees let cool until it reaches it or you will kill the yeast. Then sprinkle in yeast and 4 cups of flour, stir gently and then cover and let sit for 1 hour. After the hour stir in remaining 1/2 cup flour and other dry ingredients. Set aside

To make the caramel topping: add 1 stick butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and cream. Allow to melt over low heat until totally combined. Allow to boil for a few seconds, then remove from heat and set aside.

To make the rolls: roll out half the dough onto a large floured surface into a rectangle. Pour on half the melted butter and half the cinnamon sugar mixture. Roll starting on long side then cut unto pieces. (I got 13 per pan)

To assemble: Spray two 9" cake pans with cooking spray, pour in half of the caramel sauce, 1/4 the apple and 1/2 of the toffee unless you want one of each then do it your own way. You could also use pecans, walnuts or dried cherries. Anything would really work here. Then arrange sliced rolls on top and cover and let sit for 30 minutes. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

Invert onto cake plate and let cool for a few minutes until ready to serve

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!