Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Sign

This sign hangs in my entry way. Whenever I see it it is a reminder of my past, present, and always future. The farm was founded in 1892 by my Great-great Grandfather, then his son, on to my Grandfather, then onto my Dad. I am the 5th generation to live and grow up on the farm. My children are the 6th and will be the first to not farm the land. At times I am sad to think of it that way, and other times I see how truly lucky we are. While my children will be the first to not farm the land they will enjoy it more, they will have summers of playing, and vacations, not ones that are waiting for harvest to start. I just hope that I will be able to instill in them the love of the land that we are fortunate enough to have. That without family you have nothing and without history you are bound to be lost.  We still own our land and it is staying in the family, we are just taking a different road now. I am not saying that we may not farm again someday, it is in the blood, and it runs deep, but for now we take a break and a breath and look to other ways, just as long as we remember where we came from.

My hope is that another sign will someday grace the wall saying that we have been here for 200 years. That is my wish.

1 comment:

  1. That's a wonderful legacy to have. I'm sure your kids will appreciate it as they grow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!