Friday, February 25, 2011

Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

Last week I was searching for a cookie recipe, I just thought I needed a new one. Well as I was browsing I came across this and just knew I had to make them. They are basically a homemade Oreo, only better.

The cookie is crisp, with a great chocolate flavor, and the filling is not overly sweet. Really they are just the perfect homemade Oreo. Though now that I have made them (twice) I can't make them again or I will just sit there dipping the cookies into the filling and then eating them. Really.

They are a great cookie to make if you are going on a picnic or to pack in lunches. They weren't crumbly and they held together really well.



Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
Adapted from Martha Stewart
Just over 2 dozen sandwiches

1 1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
10 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup additional sugar for flattening cookies

Preheat oven to 375 degrees if your oven is convection set it to 350. Line baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment

Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder in bowl. Stir to combine.

In the bowl of your mixer combine butter and sugar, beat until light and fluffy, scrap down bowl and add in egg and vanilla. Mix well. With mixer on low slowly add in flour mixture, mix until it is well combined.

Using your small (1 tablespoon) scoop, scoop out cookies on baking sheets. Then using a glass dipped in the extra sugar flatten cookies slightly until they are about 1/4" thick. I then dipped mine in the sugar to give them just a bit more. Place on baking sheet about 2" apart these will spread.

Bake for 10 minutes rotating sheets halfway through. Let cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes then transfer to cooling rack. Let cool completely before filling.

Vanilla Cream Filling
Adapted from Martha Stewart

1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 pound powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon cream

In your mixer bowl butter and shortening beat until combined. Scrap down bowl and add in powdered sugar cream, and vanilla. Mix on low until combined, then beat on medium high until light and fluffy.

I put my filling into a pastry bag and piped it on the cookies. It worked really well and it made it easy to know all the cookies had the same amount.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, those look delicious!! You're going to turn me into a cookie-fan yet and I'm not sure that's a good thing, lol. Just kidding. :)

    Thanks for another great recipe! Have a wonderful weekend,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!