Saturday, March 5, 2011

Clam Chowder

During the colder seasons I try to make soup at least twice a month, and not a can of soup, homemade from scratch soup. K is a huge fan of clam chowder, loves it, when ever we go out to dinner and that is an option that is what he orders. Since I didn't have a go to clam chowder recipe I started searching and I came across this recipe at Tasty Kitchen.

One of the things I was looking for was that I needed to be a bit lighter and not loaded down with all the calories and fat. This one does a good job of it. Though it is a great clam chowder, it is creamy and delicious, but it doesn't have the super silky mouth feel that you get with all the fat, you could swap out the half and half for cream and the chicken stock with milk and that would probably do it. Either way I liked it, Hubby liked and the boys liked it, so I will be making this again. You should too, you will like it.

It is a bit spicy so next time I am going to cut down or just leave out the Tabasco, and I only used 1/2 a large onion.

1 comment:

  1. I just made clam chowder for the first time a couple weeks ago--everyone loved it, even my girls who are not seafood fans. It probably helped that I made bread bowls to serve it in, just like they do at Mo's over on the coast. It was delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!