I used the basic quick bread recipe, but with a bit of a twist. I made a cinnamon sugar crumble and added it to the middle and to the top of the bread. It turned it more into a loaf of coffee cake rather than bread, but it was delicous either way.
Basic Quick BreadRecipe from Sara Schewe
2 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup buttermilk or soured milk*
1 large egg
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 tablespoons butter melted
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Combine and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan with butter and line with parchment paper cut to fit the length and width of the pan, with enough overhang to allow easy removal after baking. Grease the top sheet of parchment.
- In large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking soda and salt to combine. Make a well in the center and set aside.
- Lightly whisk (butter) milk, egg, oil, and extract to combine. Pour into well and stir until just mixed into a batter. The batter will be lumpy and may still show a few streaks of flour.
- Pour half of batter into prepared pan, add in 1/2 of the crumble mixture and then top with remaining batter and toppings.
- Bake for 40-60 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. Start checking at 40 minutes.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely before slicing.