Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Devil’s Food Cake

Last month I went through my Mom's recipe box, and I found several recipes that were from my Grandmothers and a few other ones too. So, like any good daughter I stole her recipes and copied them so I could have them too.

In the box I found this recipe for Devil's Food cake. My Mom said it was moist and delicious. Then I asked why she never made it and she didn't say anything. When I first studied the recipe I was a bit hesitant to make it. It had butter, and regular flour. I always worry that a cake made without cake flour won't have a fine crumb to it, but this one does. Then with the butter, well I have just had bad experiences with cakes made with butter, but I sucked it up and made it. I am so glad that I did.

I made it into cupcakes for 2's pre-school birthday party. They were wonderful, moist, and very chocolate.



Devil's Food Cake
Make two 8" cakes or 24 cupcakes

1 stick unsalted butter softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup sour milk*
2 cups flour
4 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 8" cake pans or put papers in for 24 cupcakes.

In a separate bowl sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.

In a mixing bowl combine butter and sugar mix until light and fluffy. Add in eggs one at time mixing well after each addition, then add in vanilla and sour milk*. While the mixer is on low add in half of the flour mixture, then the boiling water, lastly the remaining flour. Divide evenly between pans. Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. If making cupcakes use a large scoop and bake for 15 minutes or until done.

*To make sour milk, add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and let sit until curdled.



Butter Cream frosting

1 stick unsalted butter softened
1 - 2 pound bag powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup milk

Put butter, sugar and vanilla in mixing bowl. Turn on low and pour in milk. When the sugar is all wet turn on high and let beat until light, fluffy and smooth. Spread onto cooled cake or cupcakes.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!