Monday, February 22, 2010

Red Velvet Cake

This is the red velvet cake recipe that I promised you. I ran out of red food coloring so I used my Christmas red no-taste gel in place. It seemed to work fine, though it wasn't quite as red as it should have been. The kids really didn't care, and all the parents all thought it was great.

It is a cupcake recipe, but it makes 24 which is the same as two 8" cakes. Next time you need a red velvet cake recipe I would use this one. I will.

I am sorry that I don't have pictures of this one for you. I was in such a hurry to get things done I didn't take any. I will make it up to you.....promise.

Red Velvet Cake or Cupcakes
By Martha Stewart Cupcake Cookbook

2 1/2 cups cake flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon red gel food coloring
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup buttermilk*
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and either line two cupcake tins with papers or grease and flour two 8" pans. By the way I use the baking spray, it is easier and does a great job.

In a bowl sift together cake flour, cocoa and salt, set aside.

In your mixing bowl add oil and sugar, mix until combined. Add in eggs one at a time until incorporated. Then add in vanilla and food coloring.

Next mix in the flour mixture alternating with the buttermilk. Flour, buttermilk, flour, buttermilk, flour. (I know, but just in case someone hasn't made a homemade cake before.) Make sure you do this on low or flour will go everywhere. (done that) Lastly stir the white vinegar into the baking soda to dissolve (this will foam) add to batter and mix for 10 seconds.

If you are making cupcakes; use a large scoop and then bake for 16-20 minutes or until done.

If you are making a cake pour into pans evenly and then bake for 28-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. The other way that I check to see if a cake is done, is by gently pressing on the top, if it springs back then it is done, if not it needs another minute or so.

* I rarely have buttermilk on hand so I just make it myself. Take 1 cup of milk I use 1% it is what I have in the house and then add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to it. Let it sit for a while 5-10 minutes and it will curdle making buttermilk or sour milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!