Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Spice rubbed fish with lemony rice

I have been in a rut lately, making the same things all the time and it was honestly just getting boring, so when my Martha's everyday food magazine showed up in the mail a few days ago I got really excited. I have had a subscription to it since they brought it out, and while I love it, I don't make things out of it as often as I should, but this one I knew would be good as it was the light and healthy issue. There is always something good and low calorie. Well in this one there are several and I plan on cooking something out of it every week.

Last night's dinner was spice-rubbed fish with lemony rice. It was good. I will make it again, though next time I will probably make a few changes to suit our tastes better. The best part was it was only 330 calories and it really fills you up. The recipe called for cod, but I didn't have any on hand so I used tilapia instead. Really any firm white fish would work well. 

Spice-rubbed fish with lemony rice
Serves 4

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 small onion diced
1 garlic clove minced
1 cup white rice (brown would work well too)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Zest from 1 lemon
2 cups water
1 pounds of a firm white fish cut into 4 pieces
2 teaspoons of spice rub

In a medium skillet heat butter over medium heat, add in onion and garlic cook and stir until softened. Stir in rice and cook for another minute, then add in lemon juice, lemon zest, and water, bring to a boil then cover and simmer for about 13 minutes.

While rice is cooking prepare spice rub for fish
1/4 cup coriander
1 tablespoon ginger
1 tablespoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper

rub onto one side of fish, set aside until ready to cook

After 13 minutes lay fish close together on top of rice put the lid back on and cook for another 7 minutes until rice is tender and fish is opaque.

I served mine with a side of steamed broccoli too. Sorry no pictures with this one, but trust me, give it a try, you'll like it. 

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. Sounds delicious and I'll try it sometime, though daughter no longer will eat any fish, so we'll see.

    We're not really a low-calorie meal type household - I follow more like the Barefoot Contessa, Ina Garten, with loads of butter and all of that richness, but I do like Martha's recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!