Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Getting Healthy Part 3: Get Moving

It is all a balance, I know you have probably heard that a million times before, but it is true. In order to be your healthiest you need to find balance. Between food, exercise, family and work. If you don't have it then you won't be able to stick with whatever you are doing, no matter what it is. Honestly the first thing to go will be the exercise. I know I've been there. It is the first thing that we say is a luxury or not necessary so it is the first to get ditched, mostly because it is something that we are doing for ourselves instead of others. Sometimes it is okay to be selfish and to do something for ourselves. If you think about it this way by being active you are preventing diseases and other health issues, so you won't be a bother to your family when you are old.

It took me awhile to find balance and to make a new routine. It isn't easy, and it is way to easy to give up while figuring it out. I know, I have started and stopped so many times it isn't funny. I have now been faithfully exercising since November 2008. It was really hard at first, but I had a goal and I knew that the only way to reach it would be to get off my duff and sweat.

I have to get up before the birds do, and get my workout in. Every single morning my alarm goes off at 5AM and I get up and go out in the garage and either run on the treadmill or do a workout on the elliptical. I know not everyone has ability to have exercise equipment in there home. For us we live to far enough from town that it isn't worth it to drive 5 days a week in gas and a gym membership. I know, I've been there done that. That was when we figured what we (I) were spending and thought hey instead lets buy the equipment ourselves and save some money. It was an investment, but one that is used on almost a daily basis. Plus craigslist is wonderful! I have had this "routine" long enough now that it is just second nature and the days that I have a rest day are hard because I want to get out there and do something, but I need to let my muscles heal so I can go hard again the next day.

What works for me is not going to work for you. It might and that is great but if it doesn't there are many other options. For me I run for a day or two then I do the elliptical to change it up a bit. Really I do whatever I am in the mood to do that day. If I'm not the in mood to do anything I do it anyway, I will usually run when I am in that mood it is more demanding on my body.

Some options would be:
1. Join your local gym, it is hard to not go to something that you are paying your hard earned money for. That may give you the extra boost that you may need.
2. DVDs there are so many exercise DVDs out there, if that works for you great find one you love and get started- I am not a DVD person I buy them do them once or twice and that is it. I try but it is just not me.
3. Get outside, I know this time of year is cold and frigid, but get a pair of good sneakers, a good warm brightly colored jacket and start walking, once that becomes easier you may even start jogging then running.
4. Go to a class, many areas offer classes like zumba, a step class and aerobics for a small fee without needing to join the gym.
5. Swimming
6. Yoga
7. Weight training~ this is very important to build lean muscle. I don't do this, but it is recommended that you do some sort of weight bearing exercise. Lean muscle burns more calories than anything else, so the more you have of it the more you will burn.

I am sure there is something that I left out, really the goal is to get moving and do something more than you are doing now. If you have any questions on workouts/time/routine/intensity I would be more than happy to answer them to the best of my ability. I am not an expert I just know what worked for me. I am still fumbling around with this too, I have to change things up from time to time to keep myself on my toes.

Remember: To melt the fat you have to sweat.

Next up: Food

2 comments:

  1. This is my favorite part of healthy living--although I never would have thought it when I was younger, I really love working out now! It's the watching what I eat that I have a hard time with. But even if I'm not as skinny as I'd like to be, I figure the exercise is still doing me good. I weigh more than I did as a teenager, but I know that I'm in MUCH better shape, and it's because I've been faithful to put in those early mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that we'll personally never do true "working out" but I do enjoy my walks, even though today's 2 mile was an extra effort here, not so much because it was below zero (I bundle up), but because the pathways are still solid thick sheets of ice and snow and really I could have much better used skis or iceskates on those paths. Hopefully some much-needed thawing will be here this next week, as they're promising! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!