Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Getting Healthy Part 4: Food

You aren't going to like this, but here it is, YOU CAN'T EAT CRAP AND BE HEALTHY, it's not going to happen. Now I'm not saying you can't have sweets, and good things, but I do my best live by everything in moderation. That means I have have a cookie, small slice of pie, cake or whatever dessert there is, but I don't have seconds, and I savor what I do have. I look at it this way, it is better than getting nothing at all. ,

We already discussed BRM, BMI, exercise and now comes food. It is for me the all important component. For me I can eat my 1400 allotted calories, and gain weight if what I am not eating right. For me my calories are broke down into 3 meals and 2-3 snacks a day. Yes it feels like I am eating all the time, but the good part of that is I am never truly hungry and it keeps my metabolism going.

Here is an example of my daily intake
7:30 Breakfast~ Oatmeal 240 calories
10:00 Snack~ Crackers 100-120 calories
Noon Lunch~ Tuna on crackers or low cal bread, peppers, carrots, hummus 300 calories
3:30 Snack~ cheese, crackers, fruit/veggies 150 calories
6:30 Dinner~ Spaghetti, bread, broccoli 400 calories
Somewhere thrown in there is a cookie after lunch or after dinner or a piece of chocolate or a few M & M's

Another thing to consider is meal times. Everyone has heard that eating after x will just make you hold on to what ever it is that you ate. I don't know if this is true or not, but I do my best to not eat after 7:30. My goal was 9:00 for a long time, but I am trying to not do any late evening snacking now.

Think about what you are eating, is it healthy? If it comes out of a package, and has things in it that you can't pronounce then even it says it is healthy it probably isn't. For me it has to have 5 or few ingredients for me to buy it, though I don't count bread in that since I know some breads need more than that to just make them. Also if it is an item that is homemade I am not a picky about the amount of items in it, more of what those items are.

I can tell you that you should limit your sugar, fatty meats, eat more vegetables, and while fruit is good for you I wouldn't fill up on it, there are many hidden calories. What I can't tell you how it should look as I don't know your tastes, but when you look at your plate it should all fit in the middle, half should be vegetables, 1/4 starch and 1/4 protein, if you are still hungry wait for 15 minutes before getting seconds, if you are still hungry then get more veggies. Also eating slowly will help your body process the amount of food that you are taking in.

When shopping for your food, shop the outside of the store, not the aisles. There are few things that are hidden down those aisles that are good for you. Obviously you need pastas, tomato sauces, beans, and pantry items, but the easy boxed dinners, not so much. Those are loaded with preservatives and sodium.

Do your best to eat fresh and healthy and you will be surprised at how much better you will feel.

What comes next?? What do you want to know??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!