Thursday, September 8, 2011

Corn Chowder

I promised you this recipe last week and then life got busy. I didn't forget about you though, I just didn't have a lot of time. I don't have a picture, that is just how good this stuff really is, so make this soon and you will be happy.

I have a bit of a warning for you, this is a really loose recipe. It was given to me by a chef in town, all he did was right down the ingredient list no measurements. Lucky for me I did it right the first time.

Just a note: I tried it without bacon and it's better with it. This soup is very filling and it's a great base for so many other chowders, so if corn isn't your thing, just tweak it a bit and then you could have potato soup, clam chowder, or anything else that your heart desires. I also tried it with less half and half and it was okay but not as tasty. Next time I will do my best not to eat it all before taking a picture.

Also this is a nod as to how good this really is, C (9) doesn't like chowder, but he loves this and has asked for it numerous times. I keep telling him that no I won't make soup when it's 96 degrees outside.

Corn Chowder

1 cup diced onion
1 package of bacon
3 cups diced yukon gold potatoes
3 cups corn (fresh blanched is best)
2 cups half and half (I used fat free)
2 cups milk (skim)
2 tablespoon butter

Slice bacon into strips and cook in your dutch oven or other large pot. When cooked remove bacon and drippings. On medium to medium high heat Add two tablespoons of drippings back in along with the butter. Add in the onion and cook until  soft then add in potatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes add in half and half and milk. Cook until potatoes are soft. Add in corn and cook for another 5 minutes. You can either add the reserved bacon at this point or you can use it as a topper for your soup.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!