Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Chunky Applesauce

Last night I made a great Kokanee casserole, which I hope to share with you soon, along with it I made quick chunky applesauce and apple turnovers for dessert, I will share those soon too.

As you know it's apple season and instead of making a pie (which I am dying to do) I made apple turnovers (coming soon....promise) and since I had some extra apples ready to go I made applesauce. Really it couldn't be much easier. It's a great side dish to whatever you are making, and we will be having it again soon.

My boys are hilarious, now that it's fall I've brought back out many of the recipes that I put away come spring and summer. K was so surprised the other day when I made dinner rolls. I'm not sure why though as I've never bought dinner rolls. Then again with the applesauce. I've never bought it, but he was still amazed that I was able to make it myself. I think he needs some cooking lessons.

Sorry about the recipe, but this is how I cook, a bit of this and a bit of that.My measurements are not precise, but more of it looked about this much. I know hard, sorry. Cookies, pies, cakes, and when I am canning are really the only time that I follow a recipe exactly and even then I find myself adding in or leaving things out all the time. It's how my Mom cooks and I am sure it was how she was taught.



Chunky Homemade Applesauce
Serves 4-5
2-3 apples- peeled, cored and cut into smallish pieces
1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar depends on the apples you use and how sweet you want it
Cinnamon- to taste

In a sauce pan over medium high heat put in apples, 1/4 cup sugar and about 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer stirring from time to time. They will be done with the apples are super soft and mash easily with a fork. Add you cinnamon and more sugar if needed. If you add more sugar then let it cook for a few more minutes until sugar is completely dissolved. If you want less chunky use your masher or fork, or just leave them alone and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Love homemade apple sauce. Yum. Last year, I made huge batches of it and froze it. That was because I harvested many, many bushels of apples from our two apple trees. This year - I have no apples. I've been told that apple trees do that - a really big year, followed by none. Not sure about that, but it was one of our hottest/dryest summers ever. At one point, I wasn't even sure if the trees would make it, they were so stressed from the heat.

    We're going to give them a much-needed pruning this fall/winter after their leaves drop and hope for bushels of apples again next year. :)

    Enjoy your baking and looking forward to the recipe for the casserole. Love casseroles. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!