Friday, October 7, 2011

Kokanee Casserole

One of the great benefits of going up to the lakes and fishing when it's snowing out ie. freezing our rears off is that we get to bring home fish, that I later spend days canning, and those fish being Kokanee. They are basically, but not exactly a land locked Salmon. The taste is similar and unless you have Kokanee at home that you have canned or frozen just substitute it with Salmon.

I'm sorry there is no picture for today's recipe, I forgot to take it, I was hungry.

This is one of those dishes that I love, I always make enough for two meals. This can also be made in advance and then baked later. Just up the baking time to 40-50 minutes until it is completely heated through.

Kokanee Casserole
Serves 10

1 cup diced onion
1 1/2 cups diced mushrooms
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons flour
3 cups milk (I used 1%) use what you have on hand
1 pound pasta, shells are my favorite for this
3 6 ounce jars/cans of canned Kokanee or Salmon
1-2 teaspoons kosher salt
Panko Breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In large skillet over medium high heat melt butter and add olive oil, cook onion and mushrooms until soft add in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes add in milk and salt, stir to combine, keep stirring until the mixture has thickened. You don't want lumps. When it has started to thicken turn it down to low until hte pasta is ready. It should hold just fine.

While you are making the onion/mushroom mixture cook pasta per directions on package but under cook by 1-2 minutes as it will continue to cook in the oven. Drain, return to pot and pour the onion mushroom mixture on top and add in Kokanee, if it is in large chunks break it up at bit. Stir and transfer to a large baking dish.  Top with breadcrumbs.

Bake for 30-35 minutes until topping has browned.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This is very similar to how I make my tuna casserole. Love it; in fact it's on my two-week menu planner right now so we'll be having it sometime soon. :)

    Thanks for the recipe.
    Have a great weekend,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!