Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Lemon Poppy seed Muffins

For years I have wanted to make lemon poppy seed muffins, but they aren't something that Hubby or the boys really like so much, so I never have, and I really don't need to be eating a dozen muffins on my own. Then the other day the baking bug hit, and I decided what the heck, I have everything I need so lets gets these made.

These were good, the day baked, but they were better the next morning, that lemon flavor really started to come through. I served them with a bit of lemon curd, I was lazy it is from a jar, not as good as homemade so I will make my own next time.  





Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
The Williams-Sonoma Baking Book
Makes 12 small or 10 medium muffins

1/2 cup unsalted butter room temp
2/3 cup lemon sugar*
2 large eggs separated**
1 1/3 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp Poppy Seeds
zest from 2 lemons
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup buttermilk***
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
3 Tbsp sugar for topping
Lemon curd for serving

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line a muffin tin with papers, or spray with baking spray.

* Lemon Sugar: put 1 cup of sugar in your food processor then zest 4 small or 3 large lemons and pulse until zest is incorporated throughout and very small. Store extra in a airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.

**Note: if you have two bowls for your stand mixer then great if not then beat your egg whites first until soft peaks form, then put into another bowl while you make the rest of the batter.

*** I never have buttermilk on hand so I make my own. Take 1/2 cup of milk and add 1-2 teaspoons of lemon juice and let sit until curdled 2-3 minutes.

In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, zest and poppy seeds.

In the bowl of your mixer beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, add in egg yolks and mix until well combined. On low add in 1/2 of flour mixture then buttermilk, vanilla, and lemon juice, then the remaining flour, beat until just combined or finish by hand.

Next fold in egg whites with a rubber spatula, then divide between muffin cups, sprinkle on a bit of sugar and then bake for 18-22 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes then turn out onto cooling rack. Serve at room temperature with lemon curd.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!